Birmingham's Offside Goal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birmingham's Offside Goal

Just watching it back, was it really offside? Clint Hill sliced it to their offside player, doesn't that make it not offside as our player played the ball? Not sure, just thought I'd check!

Who cares. Ref didn't give it and we won...

Comment

We were so lucky to win that game Saturday. Seems like everything is going our way at the moment. Scrappy goals, no dodgy decisions against us etc. Get in, bout time we had the rub of the green for a while.

Comment

I was just interested, I'm not complaining at all!

Comment

I haven't seen it but if he was in an offside poistion when the ball was played towards him, then he would have been flagged offside regardless of whether Hill toched the pass or not.

anyway, QPR had a 'goal' incorrectly flagged offside at Leeds (and in the cup against Swindon). It's swings and roundabouts.

Yes, it would seem QPR were extremely lucky to have won that game given the lack of chances created in the game.

Comment

Cheers Stan, that clears that up! Yeah we definitely rode our luck this weekend, and we won't get the same luck in the future, so lets make the most of it!

Comment

Technically a number of the above comments are incorrect. Because the advice given to officials is to flag when the player touches the ball or makes a movement to intercept the ball. As Hills attempt was not intentional i.e. not a back pass, then the player gained an advantage by being offside. The lino should and did then flag, correct decision and it was offiside. The Brummies can moan as long as they like not a goal under the current rules nor would it have been under the previous definitions or guidance.
              Populus fui meus nomen , tamen meus nomen est non meus nomen

Comment

Not sure about that Leveller. I thought of the last person to "play" the ball was a defending one you are not offside, though the rules around offside seem to change and it gets confusing.
                twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

[QUOTE=stanistheman;1150866]I haven't seen it but if he was in an offside poistion when the ball was played towards him, then he would have been flagged offside regardless of whether Hill toched the pass or not.

As far as i'm aware stan has nailed it

Comment

OK - just looked it up. You are only offside if the ball is played to you by a team mate. You are not offside just standing in an offside position and not if the ball comes from someone who is not a team mate, so there you go.
                    twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

But then I'm guessing as it was a sliced clearance by Clint and not a deliberate pass, it's still offside. Cheers guys!

Comment

Originally posted by kenthoop View Post
                        Just watching it back, was it really offside? Clint Hill sliced it to their offside player, doesn't that make it not offside as our player played the ball? Not sure, just thought I'd check!
                        They have changed the rules this season now ( and rightly so) if its a deliberate back pass and a oppo player standing off side latches onto it and scores then that is a goal.
                        If its not a deliberate back pass , ie it slices off a boot and ends up to the oppo player and he standing off side then thats what he is, thats the change last year any touch by a player deemed the opposition player to be on side, now its only a deliberate back pass that deems the opposition player on side, clear as mud?

Comment

Originally posted by silvercue View Post
                          OK - just looked it up. You are only offside if the ball is played to you by a team mate. You are not offside just standing in an offside position and not if the ball comes from someone who is not a team mate, so there you go.
                          But if you are standing in an offside position when the ball is struck towards you and you receive it or attempt to receive it you are deemed offside. I haven't seen the incident. I take it the ball travelled a certain distance before Clint touched it?

Comment

the problem is they seem to be changing elements of the offside rule every year and they introduce more grey areas.
                            twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

No it should be easier now, anything other than a deliberate back pass thats gone horribly wrong, then its offside..

Comment

Working...
                              X