Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Championship going to be a lot tougher than people think (Warning - pessimistic post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Championship going to be a lot tougher than people think (Warning - pessimistic post)

Remy, Townsend, Taarabt, Cesar, Samba and Mbia will all go during the summer. Looking at the rest of the squad, I think we'd really struggle in the Championship unless there's a radical overhaul in terms of players. The likes of Granero, Park, Bosingwa, Zamora and Ben Haim do not have the passion, commitment or physical resilience to succeed in such a competitive division. The remnants of the title-winning squad - Derry, Hill, Mackie and Faurlin - are all older and the latter two have suffered serious injuries which have reduced their effectiveness on the pitch, particularly in Faurlin's case. Redknapp claims he's 'going nowhere', but what people seem to forget is that this guy is one of the biggest BSers in football. It was only recently that he claimed he was 'so close' to taking the Ukraine job. Yeah right, 'Arry. He will be off at the end of the season, most likely to West Ham. We'll be left with Steve Cotterill, an unremarkable coach who was clearly appointed to the backroom team in the event of relegation. Why else would we have appointed him (he's not been a member of Rednapp's coaching team before) and why else would he have joined us (it doesn't really make sense when he could have gone for a Championship/League One managerial vacancy)? Then you've got the financial problems. The Fair Play Regulations come into effect next season and penalties will be imposed on clubs not abiding by the rules in December 2014. That means unless we (i) gain promotion immediately or (ii) quickly get rid of all garbage we signed under Hughes, we could face a transfer embargo or a massive fine during our second season in the Championship.

These are very worrying times for the club and I just hope Fernandes has a plan in place. We need to get rid of all the garbage in our squad and radically restructure the team, bringing in young players with something to prove. Otherwise, the next few seasons could prove to be a complete disaster. Sorry for the negativity, but it's genuinely how I see things. Look at Blackburn and Wolves!

Young players alone will not guarantee anything

Comment

Working...
    X